Author(s): David Alderton
This big, handsome volume describes dogs of all sizes, shapes, traits, and personalities. Author David Alderton wants every prospective owner to find the very best dog to fit his or her own personality and lifestyle, and in this book he discusses breeds and their owners under the following categories:
* Absolute beginners * Family-friendly dogs * Good mixers
* Dogs for couch potatoes * High-maintenance hair
* Large dogs for large spaces * Hypoallergenic dogs
* Dogs with special skills * Dogs for runners * Portable dogs
* Weird and wonderful dogs * Smart dogs * Burglar deterrents
For example, exercise junkies will find a willing canine companion in a Dalmatian or an English Springer Spaniel. Couch potatoes, on the other hand, will probably prefer a Basset Hound or a Shih Tzu. First-time owners might be looking for an easy-going dog that makes minimal demands, such as a Labrador Retriever, and families with a houseful of kids might prefer a patient but playful pooch, such as a Beagle or an English Setter. Each breed is categorized and profiled with a large color portrait, a brief history of the breed, a description of the animal's traits, and a chart that pinpoints the dog's characteristics. More than 200 full-color illustrations.