Release Date: Friday 17 May 2013
Classic rhythm and blues performed by first generation legends and rising stars of today's retro R&B revival.
Rhythm & Blues is the Putumayo label's first album exclusively dedicated to the genre. The 60s and 70s rhythm and blues of The Four Tops, Otis Redding and The Supremes, among others, became a global phenomenon and has inspired a new generation of artists who are reviving the classic soul sound. Reaching mainstream popularity in the 1950s, rhythm and blues sprung from the rugged roots of blues and gospel music, pairing soulful vocals with pop sensibilities. While in recent years R&B has become more closely associated with rap and hip hop, legends and young artists are recreating the sound and mood of the genre's glory days.
Updated with three new tracks.
1. Lavelle White - I've Never Found a Man to Love
2. Elmore James Jr - See See Rider
3. Louis Jordan with Johnny Otis and Shuggie Otis - Let the Good Times Roll
4. Snooks Eaglin - A Mother's Love
5. The Emotions - My Honey and Me
6. James Hunter - 'Til Your Fool Comes Home
7. The Quantic Soul Orchestra feat. Kabir - Who Knows
8. Roy C - Leaving on the Morning Train
9. Cracked Ice - Sweet Feeling
10. Rockie Charles - Before I Find the Right Girl For Me
11. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights